[wp-hackers] Coding style

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Jul 4 12:23:29 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:

> I'm interested in knowing where you're having this issue, as I have
> been using tabs over spaces for everything for a number of years
> without issue (granted, I don't have a PocketPC, but if I did I'm sure
> I wouldn't code on it anyways). I haven't found a single application
> these days that handles tabs incorrectly, and I don't see any reason
> why we shouldn't use tabs.

The problem is not that applications handle tabs incorrectly. It's that
they handle tabs differently. In practice tab lengths range from 1 to 12
spaces. Moving from one computer, editor, or printer to another can
completely change the layout of the code. It's even worse if spaces are
also used. In a team programming environment, this is a very bad. In a
large open source project like WordPress with many developers it's hideous.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!