[wp-hackers] Coding style

Rob Miller r at robm.me.uk
Mon Jul 3 22:10:12 GMT 2006

Brian Layman wrote:
>> http://wordpress.org/docs/developer/coding-style/
>> "Use real tabs and not spaces, as this allows the most flexibility across
>>
> clients."
>
> I know you weren't asking for debate, but I HATE this rule!!!

Why not just use a text editor that lets you change the width of tabs? I
use SciTE, and my indentation settings are:

Indent width: 4
Tab width: 4
Use tabs: yes

Tabs are just so much more flexible for this reason - I like my tabs to
display 4 spaces wide, but others might like them 2 spaces wide or even
8 spaces wide. Using spaces forces us into one width whereas tabs allow
every developer to choose their own width whilst retaining compatibility.

--
Rob Miller
http://robm.me.uk/ | http://kantian.co.uk/