[wp-hackers] Extending query_posts?

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 18:36:45 GMT 2006

Yes, RAND is awful for ORDER BY.

http://jan.kneschke.de/projects/mysql/order-by-rand/

At the end, he shows times for 100, 1000, ... , 1M records.  RAND starts to
'hurt' even when just 1000 records.  He walks through building an alternate
approach, still in SQL (though using sub-selects, so MySQL 4.1+).

Do you need a completely random entry from the entire data set?  Or would a
random-but-recent entry work? (i.e., select post_id limit 100, pick a random
entry or entries, then do the 'full' query with post_id in {list of selected
ids}...)

-d