[wp-hackers] Re: XSLT: Sample implementation

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:14:29 GMT 2006

On 27/01/06, David House <dmhouse at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) Atom support isn't there. Firefox and Konqueror (the browsers I
> tested in) get scared off by Atom's mime type and prompt the user to
> download it. They don't recognise it as XML, so they don't transform
> it. We have two options here: give up or serve as text/xml (I guess
> the latter won't be too popular). Really, browsers should recognise
> application/atom+xml as something they can parse as XML and do so.

Right, this has been discussed on #wordpress and we think the best
solution would be to send application/atom+xml to clients with that in
their Accept string, and text/xml to everyone else. We also demand
that feed readers start sending an Accept header.

A quick survey was conducted as to which readers Accept
application/atom+xml. Sage, Akregator does, FeedDemon doesn't send
Accept at all. We need more people testing different clients.

A quick note: this won't break any feed readers. There are plenty of
people out there serving Atom as text/xml already so feed readers have
to support it. It's not the right thing to do, hence us demanding feed
readers start Accepting application/atom+xml, but we've no choice.

Incidentally, most browsers Accept */*, so we'd have to only send
application/atom+xml to those clients that _specifically_ Accept
application/atom+xml.

Right. Now we need an implementation.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net