[wp-hackers] XSLT: Sample implementation

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:56:35 GMT 2006

On 1/30/06, Pete Prodoehl <pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com> wrote:
> David House wrote:
> > Some problems:
> >
> > 2) Atom support isn't there. Firefox and Konqueror (the browsers I
> > tested in) get scared off by Atom's mime type and prompt the user to
> > download it. They don't recognise it as XML, so they don't transform
> > it. We have two options here: give up or serve as text/xml (I guess
> > the latter won't be too popular). Really, browsers should recognise
> > application/atom+xml as something they can parse as XML and do so.
>
> That's why I eventually gave up using application/rss+xml and switched
> to text/xml for RSS. Maybe it's time to do the same for Atom?

Noooo!

The mime type tells you it's Atom, that is a Good Thing. Atom is
designed for Atom clients, not HTML browsers. I've pinged the Atom
list asking if there are any known workarounds (using conneg would
probably be doable, but more trouble than its worth...)

The case with RSS 2.0 is slightly different, as it doesn't have a
registered mime type (if I remember correctly, application/rss+xml
was briefly championed early on, but as the simple fork of RSS didn't
have a convincing spec it wasn't accepted by IANA). RSS 1.0 has
application/rdf+xml.

Cheers,
Danny.

--