[wp-hackers] Need more RSS hooks

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Thu Jan 26 17:44:56 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> Feeds are made to be syndicated, read by a feedreader, and not much
> more. The point of RSS is for when people do not want to visit your
> site every five minutes to read your content, they just want a
> stripped down version of your content that an aggregator can read, and
> they can click the links back to your site if they like. XSL defeats
> the purpose of creating feeds in the first place, you're essentially
> making a second website for people to come and visit, which is really
> a silly idea.

Perhaps XSL was the wrong tech I was thinking of. Consider XSL-Stylesheets.

The difference between this:
  - http://www.petefreitag.com/rss/

and this:
  - http://jrm.cc/feed

is a magnitude of two lines in the RSS feed and 665bytes in the stylesheet.

Yet, for a technology with an adoption rate at a terribly low 11%[1][2]
it'd be a useful UI enhancement that, if nothing else, would help to
educate and evangelize the use of RSS instead of scaring off user when
presented with:

  - http://somethingunpredictable.com/feed/

Jeff

  [1] http://blog.softtechvc.com/2005/08/rss_adoption_le.html