[wp-hackers] Forum: High query count

Michel Valdrighi michelv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 22:57:19 GMT 2006

On 1/24/06, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2006, at 10:02 AM, David Chait wrote:
> > BTW, Ryan, would be nice if the dashboard had in red letters "Your
> > hosting setup doesn't support caching to disk!" -- no joke,

That's risking hosts getting angry customers feedback like "they say
they support WP but WP says the host is not OK!", so the message
should make it clear that it's something the user could fix by
herself.

> It might be nice to throw up errors for other common problems such
> as /wp-content/ not being writable.

It might be even nicer to take this idea further and define "server
capabilities" flags, that could be used for dependency checking in
plugins.

After all, maybe I don't want to have wp-content writable.
But if I activate a plugin that needs it, it would be better if it got
deactivated right away with a message telling me that it needs to be
able to write to wp-content.
All too often the reality is different: plugin tries to write, fails
and spews an error, WP's output buffering makes the page blank, user
is confused. By enabling plugins to prevent such failures, WP would
become more solid to both plugin developers and users.

--
Michel Valdrighi
Devéloppeur Web Intraordinaire