[wp-hackers] Re: RSS Decisions

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 00:08:34 GMT 2006

On 1/18/06, Doug Stewart <dstewart at atl.lmco.com> wrote:

> Here's a thought: why not create a new rewrite rule that feeds all
> requests for the old RDF/RSS feeds to an error-handling page that then
> serves up well-formatted RSS 0.92/RDF error messages saying something
> like "This blog has moved to new core software and is no longer
> supporting this feed format.

I believe that would be inconsistent with what's generally considered
good practice on the web - the error messages do not represent the
same resources as the feeds. I'm not 100% sure offhand, but I think
HTTP 410 Gone might well be the most appropriate response in such a
situation.

Please see http://sitename/feed/rss2 for
> the latest and best incarnation of the feed" or somesuch.

"latest", "best"..."rss2"?!

Cheers,
Danny.

--