[wp-hackers] Replacing instead of stripping umlauts

Kimmo Suominen kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com
Mon Jan 9 21:01:21 GMT 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 07:26:08PM +0000, David House wrote:
> A discussion came up today on #wordpress with a guy who blogs in
> German. Umlauts are stripped from slugs, and he wants them replaced
> instead of stripped completely. In German, it's acceptable to write a
> vowel with an umlaut as [vowel]e, so ä -> ae, ö -> oe and so on. Could
> we employ some code like this in remove_accents()?
>
> The only problems I see are with other languages that use umlauts,
> like skandinavian ones. I'm not sure what the rules are here for
> rendering umlauts, but they're probably not the same as German.

The scandinavians would absolutely hate it if WordPress were to do
the German ae/oe thing to ä and ö in the slugs.  The current behaviour
of using a/o is correct.

Now, I wonder if the french would like ë written as ee any better?

Regards,
+ Kimmo
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>