[wp-hackers] Can we do anything about PAGE SEACRH?

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Mon Jan 2 13:59:19 GMT 2006

_____/ On Mon 02 Jan 2006 12:57:03 GMT, [Elliotte Harold] wrote : \_____

> Ryan Boren wrote:
>
>>> Google search boxes work very nicely.
>>
>> site: is all I need, but some people insist on theme integrated search
>> results that are all pretty and stuff. :-)
>

> Might (or might not) be a "terms of Service" violation, but I bet you
> could screen scrape the Google results into a themed page.

[sarcasm] Just scrape Scroggle then. Stealing from the thief, that is.
[/sarcasm]

I'd say that creating a search engine which is internal to WordPress is
challenging for several reasons:

* Handling posts, comments, merging content, displaying highlighted
   excerpts and so forth.

* How can it surpass engines that are based on indexing? I use 'site:'
   quite a lot as it proves to be powerful under most circumstances.

* If you implement indexing, that's a whole project in its own right.
   When do you employ the server so that it carries out indexing? Can
   one re-use PhpDig perhaps? It's GPL'd. Perhaps someone could write
   a plug-in that integrates the two.

Roy