[wp-hackers] User Feedback and Testing

John Joseph Bachir jjb at ibiblio.org
Mon Jan 2 01:05:21 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, David House wrote:

> 2. Old bugs come up again. Due to WP's history, looking at the code
> sometimes looks like it's a hangover from the old b2 days. Lets face it,
> WP's code isn't as nice as, say, Wikipedia or Gallery. It's improving,
> but it's still very coupled. New fixes tend to rebreak old bugs. That's
> why I think we need some kind of regression testing. I'm not sure how
> this would be embodied, perhaps through automated testing (although that
> would require a BIG shift in the WP development paradigm -- there's no
> point doing automated testing if you don't do test-driven development),
> perhaps through ruthless human testing. Whatever. We need to make sure
> that once a bug is fixed, it stays fixed.

I once sat down to try to write a unit testing suite for WordPress, but
soon realized what a difficult task it would be, due to [1] the coupled
code, aka lack of separation of presentation and business logic (if I
understand what you mean by coupled) [2] the unbridled use of global
variables.

I hope to eventually put together an integration testing suite (at the
browser-interaction level-- simpletest has good facilities for doing
this). Which for many functions is basically what a unit testing suite
would be, given the amount of environmental initialization that needs to
be performed before each test.

I think an ongoing goal of WordPress should be moving toward a more MVC
and OO model. Which isn't to say that a purist MVC model is necesarily
ideal for this project. But just decoupling the business code from the
display code, and trying to cut down on global variables, would go a long
way in terms of code stability and maintainability.

John
--
http://lyceum.ibiblio.org