[wp-hackers] fwiw: informing a user that a updated plugin is avaiable

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Feb 24 05:04:29 GMT 2006

Glenn wrote:
> That's great Per, I've been trying to come up with a solution to that
> same problem.

Matt Read has been working on an impressive Installer plugin that
everyone should check out.  You can find it here:

http://mattread.com/projects/wp-plugins/installer-the-plugin/

It can install and uninstall both plugins and themes directly from their
zip files, via URL or an uploaded file.  There are still a few glitches,
but I'm hoping that more people can pester Matt to get them worked out.

Assuming you don't want to bother with creating the XMLRPC service that
the Installer requires to obtain update information, I've created this
Plugin Version Service at RedAlt:

http://redalt.com/wiki/Plugin+Version+Service

There are more details there, but basically, you create an account and
register whatever plugins you like.  You can then use http://redalt.com/
in your plugin header as the Update Server, as needed by Matt's plugin,
and RedAlt will return the required XMLRPC results.

I have implemented this versioning method in the latest iteration of my
Countdown plugin:

http://redalt.com/wiki/Countdown

Not sure what else to say...  Oh!  The Ajax editing stuff in the
function reference that I was talking about at the IRC meetup is
accessible if you create a PVS account and log in there.  The function
reference stuff is here, in case you weren't at the meetup:

http://redalt.com/fn/

Be gentle.

Ok, going to pass out now.

Owen