[wp-hackers] Inline documentation

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 04:05:02 GMT 2006

On 2/15/06, Mark Jaquith <mark.wordpress at txfx.net> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2006, at 8:19 PM, Owen Winkler wrote:
>
> > PHPDoc is reasonably well supported, and both PHP Documentor and
> > PHPXref can extract documentation in that format.
>
> Sounds good to me.  Best thing to do would be for people to take a wp-
> includes file and do the documentation for it.  You could submit a
> ticket in trac like "PHPDoc: /wp-includes/functions.php" and then
> post a comment saying that you're working on it... that way we're not
> stepping on each other's toes.
>
> This can be an incremental thing... one file at time.

Finally, we get going - great!

Two points:

Point 1:
If I were active, I would write up a quickie howto, or guidelines to
be followed to ensure standardization.
Could we do one on the wp-includes/ files perhaps, agree on
format/content to the included and  then proceed with the rest? I
suppose, otherwise, this will lead to many tickets on trac,
complaining about incorrect documentation. That, besides the fact that
otherwise the documentation will be non-uniform.

Point 2:
I would suggest working on a seperate copy of the code repository -
probably the last stable version (2.0.1) until this work is finished.
The reason being, it would be nice, for once, to actually make USE of
version control by opening things up to more than 2-3 people, get the
work done fast, and then merge back the changes when the documentation
is mature enough.

Regards,
Carthik
--