[wp-hackers] Inline documentation

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Feb 15 19:26:20 GMT 2006

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Comment ought to be accumulated and always remain in tact in the
> repository.
> Each time release milestone is reached, run a parser which strips all
> comments and publish.
>
> Developers can fetch documented code of interest from the SVN repository,
> the nightly, or a Developer Edition. It is worth using the same tactic with
> debugging bits in the code. If there are none, something in development
> model is probably missed.

I _strongly_ disagree with this approach.  A lot of people have learned
PHP by fiddling with WordPress.  I've personally encouraged a handful of
people to do so.  I think WordPress should be making an effort to
_encourage_ people to work through the code whenever they have an
interest in doing so.  Comments are a good way to help a new developer
learn the internals.

Requiring them to fetch the "development source" seems like a gigantic
waste of time, and a real disservice.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35