[wp-hackers] Data recovery (post_status?)

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Sun Feb 12 19:11:32 GMT 2006

Owen Winkler wrote:

> When did "delete" come to mean "possibly store it somewhere for
> convenient for later retrieval, just in case you didn't really want to
> actually, you know, delete it"?  I never saw any delete buttons labeled
> "Throw this away, but put it somewhere I can get it later if I made a
> mistake".  I can see the advantage of letting users recover from their
> mistakes, but geez.

20 years ago when Apple invented the trash can. Bruce Tognazzini
explains this in detail here:

http://www.asktog.com/columns/069ScottAdamsMeltdown.html

The size of even the largest WordPress databases is trivial. Everything
should be undoable. There's little reason to be overly aggressive about
deleting things. Possibly one might wish a secure delete to erase
embarrassing  or incriminating information, but as far as I know neither
WordPress nor your typical SQL database has ever provided such
functionality.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu