[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Wed Feb 8 15:17:31 GMT 2006

Stefano wrote:
> If you ask people devoted to assistance on forum they will tell you
> that even if rhis should/would be the perfect way, zilion of reqyest
> are for plugin not working, how to patch etc etc. We can arrange to
> say: don't bug us ask the plugin developper... but i think it's a bad
> way to give support, people want hi wp installation working with the
> plugin they like, the righ and only thing we can answer is for
> example: Don't use the tagXYZ plugin it's a poor plugin and no more
> supported by auther, use tagQWERTY plugin that is "officially approved
> by WP" and that updated to last wp realese. This willmake user having
> an happy expirience.

I would say, then, that the WP community is doing a very poor job at
user expectations management.  Do I go whining to Microsoft when my
Firefox session crashes? (No, I feebly shake my fist in the general
direction of Redmond, sigh, mutter a vague curse concerning large
meteorites and Bill Gates' general health and wellbeing, and then get
back about my business.  But that's not important right now.)  I fail to
see how the maintenance of WordPress plugins is the responsibility of
the WP dev team/forum ops.

There are only so many man hours to go around and if we have high level
devs tracking down incompatibilities in Joe Bag-o-Donuts' plugin setup,
then we're going to drive ourselves crazy and stall further valuable WP
development, to boot.

--
Doug Stewart
dstewart at atl.lmco.com