[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next [s]

John Ha [c] khanh at netspace.net.au
Wed Feb 8 14:58:49 GMT 2006

+1
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Doug Stewart
  To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
  Sent: Thursday, 9 February 2006 1:51 AM
  Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

  Ryan Boren wrote:

  > Right.  The best situation is where we could get a patch upstreamed to
  > the original author.  But if they're unresponsive, we need to be able to
  > commit a fix that will allow people to upgrade.  Think linux distro
  > model.
  >
  > Ryan

  That seems like a particularly unhelpful analogy to be following here.
  Linux distros ship a lot of software with each release and are
  responsible for insuring that all that software works together.
  WordPress' model is exactly the opposite: you get core functionality and
  Hello Dolly, nothing else.  Unless you're proposing shipping a massive
  .zip/.tar.gz with every bloody plugin known to the WP community, I fail
  to see the comparison as a valid one.

  Most plugins are the work of a single author, with little code control
  or existing bug tracking interface.  The best way to keep plugins
  working and up to date is to bug the authors, a task which is best left
  to a decentralized infrastructure (i.e., let the people who use the
  plugins annoy the plugin authors).

  I think something along the lines of the old One-Click installs from
  wp-plugins.net or the direction that Alchemy/Elixir were heading is a
  much better idea, IMNSHO.

  --
  ----------
  Doug Stewart
  dstewart at atl.lmco.com

------------------------ [ SECURITY NOTICE ]
------------------------
To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com.
For your security, khanh at netspace.net.au
digitally signed this message on 08 February 2006 at 14:58:50 UTC.
Verify this digital signature at http://www.ciphire.com/verify.
------------------- [ CIPHIRE DIGITAL SIGNATURE ]
Q2lwaGlyZSBTaWcuAjh3cC1oYWNrZXJzQGxpc3RzLmF1dG9tYXR0aWMuY29tAGtoYW5oQ
G5ldHNwYWNlLm5ldC5hdQBlbWFpbCBib2R5AH0FAAB8AHwAAAABAAAAKgfqQ30FAABdAg
ACAAIAAgAg8VGtcvYHOvWkCvgOMX2lA8lp65NgG+XmR5CoW8On08gBABh9ddIwqVYrJzb
+YRTkO3r9j+q978iHOOe1FIMyNojdO11MBtPZLIEeZ2VY1cOzd0+iN6yRmXc4wEmeahhw
5uOtU2lnRW5k