[wp-hackers] Simplicity in 2.next

Ryan Duff ryan at ryanduff.net
Wed Feb 8 13:27:50 GMT 2006

Denis de Bernardy wrote:
>> your plugins.  Most plugins are unmaintained, however.  Most plugin
>> authors do not follow the hackers list, and they wait until after a
>> release to update their plugins.  That's too late.
>
> Mmm.... Plugin authors wait until after a release to update their plugins...
> Now, let me see... A 3 day advance notice (before Christmas!) for WP 2. No
> advance notice that I can think of for WordPress 2.0.1. Pardon, but I am
> laughing out loud.
>
> Giving a notice two weeks before WP updates occur will solve most of the
> problems. Call it a 'public beta' stage, whatever you want. For plugins that
> are actively maintained by their authors, this makes all the difference in
> the world. For plugins who are abandonned, keeping them in a repository
> makes this worse, since you end up maintaining a mess created by others.

+1

Advance notifications would be nice. Oh wait, I guess your logic is most
plugin authors don't follow the hackers list, therefore, why make an
announcement or have a public beta so they can fix things.

Again, like I said yesterday. If we clean out the repo of abandoned
plugins and empty folders that were never populated by the author, that
would solve most of the problem, the only ones in there would be ones
actively maintained. No need for plugin gardeners

--
Ryan Duff
http://ryanduff.net