[wp-hackers] caching doesn't work?

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Thu Feb 2 14:39:18 GMT 2006

Color me confused.  I'd think the majority of folks would be on shared
hosting, in which case 'marginal improvement' would seem rather useless.  So
was this really targeted at some point being implemented with 'a real
backend' for large websites with dedi servers?  Don't get me wrong, with the
growth of WP for really big sites, it's a needed thing -- but I'd think the
page-caching stuff, with an order of magnitude (or two, or three if you use
lighttpd or equiv...) improvement, would be better worth 'core dev cycles'.

I should note that I've had my own home-grown query caching in place for
maybe a year, given that my old host had MySQL servers separate from the
apache boxes, and I figured going to disk is (sometimes) faster than going
across the network to another box which might not be caching well and
hitting a db table which may or may not be fully resident (or the box might
be under heavy loads...).  I saw some decent pageload speed increases due to
elimination of common queries -- but I haven't yet compared my approach to
the new 2.0 object cache (might be redundant, might be I catch extra stuff
that I found more the culprits...).

In any case, might I suggest this conversation could blend into the 2.next
conversation, and that wp-cache (which started as Staticize...) be
considered for direct inclusion in the distro (given the impact it makes)
and direct maintenance as a core element, and that the two different caching
approaches be detailed well enough in docs/codex that people aren't confused
why their performance drops when they upgrade to 2.0 and don't put wp-cache
back into play? ;) ;) ;)

-d