[wp-hackers] Simplified Upgrade Process

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Wed Feb 1 15:42:24 GMT 2006

Owen Winkler wrote:
> I've never had an issue that required me to delete a file -- even when
> all of the javascript moved from wp-admin to wp-includes, the old stuff
> is still there and everything runs just fine.  If we're talking about
> the cache, the upgrade code should be flushing the cache before it
> starts, so you shouldn't have to do that, either.
>
> I don't doubt that there are upgrades where it is necessary to delete
> some files, but I need to understand the problem.  What files and why?

There have been scores of posts to the support forums about people
experiencing problems after upgrades.  Many of the people experiencing
these problems copied the new files overtop the old.  When asked to
delete the files, then copy the new files into place, the problems
disappeared.

Maybe it's snake oil, but it seems to work.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35