[wp-hackers] Extending query_posts?

Mattias Winther mattias at winthernet.se
Wed Feb 1 05:18:27 GMT 2006

Well, my thought is to get completely random from all posts in matching categor(y|ies), so I'm somewhere in between. But, since ordering by random works without hurting up to about 1000 hits, and considering the amount of posts I have, combined with the amount of posts/day I write, I figure I'll have a few years before this becomes an actual problem for me personally... And I'm guessing that once I start hitting the numbers, I will indeed choose to pick between more recent posts.

Since I'm modifying the SQL ordering, from what I understand, the posts are first selected from the criteria, and then ordered according to, in my case, random order, which should mean that with selective query_posts-usage one should be able to use the simple version in a lot of cases, even with large number of posts, without suffering any real performance problems. Optimizing seems like a great idea, and once I get my new iMac, I'll have the hardware to test on too. :) What is the easiest way to populate a test instance of the database with, say, 10000 posts?