[wp-hackers] Improving WordPress' Performance WAS Changing MySQL minimum version

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Fri Dec 1 08:55:37 GMT 2006

Computer Guru wrote:
> As far as the DB goes, I feel we can (if we wanted to) rewrite it without
> breaking compatibility, since we just have to keep the functions the same.
> Officially, WP doesn't support plugins or themes that grab info from the
> database themselves - that's what the hooks are for, so we don't have to
> worry about breaking those kind of things.

While there are some field names that bug me, like ID vs post_id,
besides that I don't think there is anything fundamentally I would
change in WP's schema (from 2.1) to make it faster or more "efficient."
Some folks from MySQL donated some time to review WP and their
improvements are in 2.1.

Did you have anything specific in mind?

--
Matt Mullenweg