[wp-hackers] Include popular libs with a function

Sean Hickey seanhickey at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 07:58:47 GMT 2006

> Yea, but the problem is that it adds more files that aren't needed.

I don't see how that's an issue.  Certainly you're not worried about
file size when it comes to downloading WP?  Also I'd like to redefine
what "needed" means.  Just because WP doesn't need it, doesn't mean
plugin developers from all over won't use it.

> It's a good idea, but when you add a lot of 3rd party JS libraries, keeping
> them up to date may become a pain, more importantly if a XSS exploit or so
> on is discovered and a fix is released, but takes a while to get into the WP
> core's version.

I suspected that would be the #1 argument against the idea. :)  But
I'm not talking about every 3rd party lib on the web.  Just the "top"
ones.  JS libs like Scritaculous and Dojo are very solid, and have
strong communities behind them.  Besides, with Prototype,
Scriptaculous, and Dojo, you really don't need anything else.  Those
libs cover pretty much every base.

The same holds true for popular PHP libs like Domit!, and PHP.XPath.
Both of those libs are already being used in popular CMSs like Mambo.

The whole idea is about efficiency, and making WP a more attractive
development platform.

- Sean
--
http://www.headzoo.com