[wp-hackers] AJAX and responsiveness

Charles lists06 at wiltgen.net
Thu Aug 17 17:55:04 GMT 2006

>> Or, you could do what's more obvious, and have a the animation
>> indicate that something's going on, and THEN update the UI to act
>> as confirmation. Which is the obvious way around.
>
> I would rather not introduce the equivalent of a spinning hourglass
> to WP.

The good news is that there's three ways to provide a satisfactory user
experience:  (1) Make the operation fast enough that it's effectively
instantaneous, (2) take as long as you like to complete the operation but
present user feedback (hourglass, non-determinate progress bar)
instantaneously, and (3) update the view instantaneously but complete the
operation asynchonously.

-- Charles