[wp-hackers] AJAX and responsiveness

Tom Armitage tom.armitage at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 09:41:38 GMT 2006

Updating UI immediately is, imho, not optimal - users in a hurry are
likely to click away, assuming things are complete. And it's not
enough to say "even though the visuals may have updated, the action
might not have happened, so wait a bit". If you want users to wait
until an action completes, wait for the visual element to update.

This is a downside to Ajax, but imho it's a necessary one - you can't
have the complete desktop metaphor. At some point, you have to give in
to basic HTTP.