[wp-hackers] New Default Theme For 2.1

Aaron Brazell emmensetech at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 19:19:27 GMT 2006

On 8/7/06, Robert Deaton <false.hopes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/7/06, Yosemite <yosemite at samdevol.com> wrote:
> > I think it would be a mistake to approach this from the perspective of
> > how much a user knows about html, css or php. I'd suggest placing more
> > weight on what's out there, what's popular now, and just how different
> > will that be from the new "Default" theme?
>
> I think we made this mistake once with Kubrick, and now we're in the
> mess that this thread is trying to fix.

I think I agree with you on principle. Kubrick is a real bastard to work
with if you're a rookie.  But therein lies the problem. Now we've gopne from
producing compliant code, efficient code, ease of _use_ and moved into a
realm of holding peoples hands thus complicating the mission of WordPress. I
don't know that it's our role to _teach_ people how to write good CSS and
XHTML, and I know that's not what you're saying, but by making sure people
can do this stuff without having a learning curve places us more in the
realm of SitePoint.

I'm of the opinion that there should be a new default theme for every major
release as it not only keeps things fresh but marks our territory. I think
coming to a consensus on what it's going to be, if existing, is going to be
hard. Obviously Doug doesn't like Sandbox because it's too much like
Textpattern. I love it because it is like Textpattern. :) I almost think
something like that should just be commissioned to some designer outside of
this circle.

But then I'm just talking.
--
Aaron Brazell
Author & Blogger, http://technosailor.com

"The internet is a series of tubes." -Sen. Ted Stevens