[wp-hackers] 2.0.4 Performance Issues

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 22:00:19 GMT 2006

I believe I have found part of the cause of the 2.0.4 performance
issues complaints. Somewhere between 2.0.3 and 2.0.4, we did something
that calls get_post tens to hundreds of times depending on the number
of pages when viewing a page with a permalink. This is now completely
reproducable, and is a serious concern as I have one client who is
getting in excess of 300 database queries per page view.

I haven't yet found the core cause of the issue, but to reproduce,
make sure you have a decent amount of pages (say at least 20 or so),
and fancy permalinks enabled, and likely some sort of menu listing the
pages on the sidebar (I believe this is where the issue is, the new
page walking code perhaps?). You should notice a considerable spike in
query usage, I haven't had a chance to dig around more, but the rest
of you are welcome to do so, imho this is big enough where it needs to
be fixed and maybe even one last release on the 2.0.x series before
2.1, as this could cause shared hosts to ban users easily for
hammering the db server

--
--Robert Deaton