[wp-hackers] Questions on execute-pings.php...

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 14:01:31 GMT 2006

On 4/25/06, Angsuman Chakraborty <angsuman at taragana.com> wrote:
> At this point it is simply calling the execute-pings in a convoluted (network error prone) and slower way without any visible benefits

Have you arrived at this analysis by testing or assuming?

When I last left the code, I could put 50 links and in a post and add
a slew of trackbacks and when I clicked Publish, WordPress would
complete the action and redirect me on my way in less than a second. I
simultaneously watched the server log on another computer (the one
targeted by all the links and trackbacks) as it received each of the
pings asynchronously over the next few minutes.

This worked perfectly every time on my LAMP boxes. A few people
reported problems and the common denominator between their servers was
PHP as CGI. The exact phenomenon is one I am still unable to explain,
though I have come to believe it: the user-inititated publishing
process succeeds in saving the post and spawning the asynchronous
pinging process, but the pinging process fails silently IF (though not
exactly WHEN) that process involves opening two more sockets.

So the asynchronous process serves a purpose and it works well on the
majority of installations in use. If you want to go back to
synchronous pinging and wait a few minutes to get any confirmation
that your post was published, rather than find an asynchronous
solution that works in all cases, I suggest you hang around a bit
longer and come up to speed.

Cheers,
Andy