[wp-hackers] Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.

Elliotte Harold elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Tue Apr 25 11:29:35 GMT 2006

Mike Little wrote:

>>  This ticket is similar to #712 which was closed with wontfix.  I would
>>  like to know why this isn't seen as an issue?  It prevents the addition of
>>  RDF and other metadata, not to mention just plain old HTML comments in
>>  posts.

>> Comment (by skeltoac):
>>
>>  This is what is implied: nobody who has seen this has found it important
>>  enough to spend their time rewriting autop to work around comments. The
>>  applicable mantra is "edge case." You are welcome to work up a patch and
>>  submit it for testing and consideration.

If you're willing to accept a patch, please don't close it as wontfix.
First of all, people looking for something to contribute usually won't
search for wontfix issues. Secondly wontfix usually indicates that
you've made a conscious decision that fixing the bug would have other
negative consequences, and therefore you're going to live with the bug.

If that's not the case, then it would be helpful to leave the bug open
or schedule it to a future version of WordPress so other people may
eventually find it and fix it.

Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu