[wp-hackers] Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.

Mike Little mike at zed1.com
Tue Apr 25 08:35:44 GMT 2006

On 4/25/06, WordPress Trac <wp-trac at lists.automattic.com> wrote:
> #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------
>        Id:  2691       |      Status:  new
> Component:  General    |    Modified:  Tue Apr 25 07:51:49 2006
>  Severity:  normal     |   Milestone:
>     Owner:  anonymous  |    Reporter:  gord
> -----------------------+----------------------------------------------------

>  When an HTML comment is added in a post, autop adds paragraph ( <p> ) tags
>  around the comment and for multi-line comments line breaks ( <br /> ) are
>  added after every line.  This should not happen in HTML comments.
>
>  This ticket is similar to #712 which was closed with wontfix.  I would
>  like to know why this isn't seen as an issue?  It prevents the addition of
>  RDF and other metadata, not to mention just plain old HTML comments in
>  posts.

> Comment (by skeltoac):
>
>  This is what is implied: nobody who has seen this has found it important
>  enough to spend their time rewriting autop to work around comments. The
>  applicable mantra is "edge case." You are welcome to work up a patch and
>  submit it for testing and consideration.

So, along with dropping the accessibility of WordPress admin, because,
presumably, all those blind, partially-sighted, and physically
disabled people are 'edge case'; we are now dropping the 'standards
compliant' part of WordPress

Whatever happened to:

"WordPress is a state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform
with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability."

Oh wait! It's still there on the web site, perhaps it needs removing.
Or perhaps it needs rewording: Try dropping 'usability' and 'web
standards'. Perhaps add 'coolness' and 'buzz word compliance'.

Mike
--
Mike Little
http://zed1.com/