[wp-hackers] Buttonsnap updates?

John Vanderbeck jwvanderbeck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 09:11:00 GMT 2006

On 4/12/06, Owen Winkler <ringmaster at midnightcircus.com> wrote:
> John Vanderbeck wrote:
> > Recently I was using buttonsnap to add buttons for my plugin, jPortfolio (
> > http://www.jwvanderbeck.com/wordpress-plugins/jportfolio/), and ran  into a
> > bug in the library that prevents the AJAX Filter based button from working
> > properly under Firefox when using the "basic" editor, not the visual rich
> > editor.  Upon further research I found that the code was using a javascript
> > method for getting the selection that is not supported on all browsers
> > (There is to my knowledge no standard method for getting the selection).  My
> > research showed the method used mainly only worked on IE based browsers, and
> > possibly Opera, but not Mozilla based browsers.
>
> Hmm.  I was using code from the Quicktags plugin, and it seemed to work
> to me, but if you say it doesn't...

Well it defintly wasn't working for me with Firefox 1.5.0.1 when in
the standard editor.  My hook always received a blank selection no
matter what.

> > I was wondering what I would need to do to get this code change rolled into
> > buttonsnap in some form?  Since this is a singleton class it really needs to
> > be updated for everyone that uses it or else problems may develop.
>
> You've sent me this code already, haven't you?  I just need to roll it
> in and test it.  There are another couple of things that I need to
> add/change in Buttonsnap that I'm hoping to do before making a new
> official release.

I had posted about the issue in your support forum but I never got any
reply so I didn't know if it was seen or not.  I posted the code I
came up with in there as well.