[wp-hackers] Changeset 2877 - non-unique user IDs?

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 04:44:21 GMT 2005

If this absolutely _must_ stay (personally, I'd prefer it reverted)
then we need to seriously rethink certain areas and the problems that
this checkin causes:

1.) Only the first person with a login name can log in with that name,
the other person is SOL, even if they have the right password (WFM on
two machines, if someone else could test this)
2.) Password conflicts between two login names. How do we tell them
apart in the off chance that they a) select the same password b) have
colliding md5s
3.) Don't let there be a second admin user on a default WP install,
its just illogical
4.) The Users interface needs some fixes to account for this change also
5.) The upgrade script doesn't make this change to the database, the
table needs to be dropped and recreated unless the upgrade scripts are
fixed to work around it.

On 9/21/05, Michael D Adams <mikea at turbonet.com> wrote:
> What sorts of apps did you have in mind that wouldn't be able to make
> use of the non unique display_name column?
> Michael
>
> On Sep 21, 2005, at 7:59 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>
> > Owen Winkler wrote:
> >
> >> http://trac.wordpress.org/changeset/2877
> >> What's that all about?  We don't require unique user IDs for login
> >> now?
> >>

> > It's needs to be enforced on the code level, not with database
> > errors. The new user database is designed to be something modular
> > you can plug into almost any application, bbPress and MU are just
> > two other apps using it. It may continue to evolve before 1.6 goes
> > "gold."

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com