[wp-hackers] WordPress Leaks PageRank?

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sat Sep 3 08:46:02 GMT 2005

_____/ On Sat 03 Sep 2005 08:04:26 BST, [Amit Gupta] wrote : \_____

> Firas D. <fd at firasd.org> wrote:
> |  Also I think the point of the disdain for nofollow is that the
> spammers
> |  really don't care what the search engines are following or not
> |  following, they're gonna keep spewing their stuff via bots anyway
>
> yeah, that's right. Even if you don't link directly to any URI's in
> comments & link them via a redirector script, the spammers hardly care,
> I bet they don't even know, they just have a list of
> websites/blogs/forums which they feed into their bots & start spamming
> them. :(

Two of my blogs still respect the "no nofollow" mantra. Until not long ago I
came to witness spam coming to an /almost complete halt/. So, it was fair to
conclude that spammers did not 'snatch' any opportunities. It is hard to come
up with a search engine criterion for 'blog that honours all links' unless the
blog explicitly states something to that effect in its body.

More recently, spam bounced up again to a lump of 50-100 a day. It does not
appear as if spammers have time (READ: will bother) to check if rel="nofollow"
is embedded. As a matter of fact, you can get rel="nofollow" links highlighted
in red if you install the SearchStatus extension for Firefox, which is
worrying
when you think of spammers. Before I got it installed (version 1.9 or
later), I
had to highlight text and "View Source Selection", which is hard if you
inspect
an entire page that is filled with links.

has anybody noticed the following:

http://del.icio.us/robots.txt

I was a little curious this morning, that's all...

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com