[wp-hackers] Posting still slow

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:21:24 GMT 2005

On 01/09/05, Amit Gupta <wp at igeek.info> wrote:
> so ofcourse if you are gonna show some visual confirmation to the user as to
> what's happening(like 'pinging'),
> then that should be made optional!! There's no harm in making it optional,
> so the authors who want to
> see when WP is pinging etc. they can enable the option.

Actually, there is harm in making it optional. Filling option screens
with trivial options is the fastest way to guarentee a confused user.
Options should be precious and only a select few should be available.
Options are so often used as a lazy way of deciding a dispute: instead
of making a decision one way or another, the developers stick an
option in. This is not the way it should be.

See http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html, specifically the
section on 'The Question of Preferences'. Here, no value is gained by
adding the option: those that are techy enough to understand the
'Pinging X' output probably also understand that big DB dumps and RPCs
may take some time.

I say we take Owen's suggestion about linking to a seperate pinger on
the next page, or Matt's with the iframe. Either way is good: someone
should set up some proof-of-concepts for both and we'll see how they
compare.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net