[wp-hackers] The next release.

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Tue Oct 25 17:02:18 GMT 2005

David House wrote:
> On 23/10/05, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
>> I will write the upgrade docs that are needed.
>> Problem is that they won't be 1-2-3.
>
> Why not?
>
> 1. Delete old files, save wp-content.
> 2. Upload new files, making sure not to overwrite wp-content
> 3. Run wp-admin/upgrade.php
>
> Have I missed something?

Yup :)

So far the languages directory is .. ? I do not use it, so I assume that
if wp-whatever is deleted, so it a lot of work. I asked about this ages
ago - what was/is the state of play ?

Old files - people need that spelling out.

People skip (1) then screw things up, post to the forums, swear blind
they did it right, make noises ...

The above does not take account of version skipping - you cannot go to
1.6 from b2, or 1.0.1, or 1.2 each of which needs explaining.

Lowest common denominator - people who are worried about their blog,
need lots of reassurance and who may never have done this before
(fantastico has a lot to answer for here, that and webhosts).

Believe me, if I didn't think it was needed, I wouldn't do it. And as I
have said before, I'm not looking at this from someone who bleeds
commandline code or can code anything anywhere. There is an unmet need
for this - and Codex doesn't hit the spot for a lot of people.

P.