[wp-hackers] XHTML Strict compliant replacement for target=_new

Pete Prodoehl pete.prodoehl at cygnusinteractive.com
Mon Oct 24 15:26:54 GMT 2005

Amit Gupta wrote:
> Andy Skelton <skeltoac at gmail.com> wrote:
> |  Amit, I'll be satisfied when people stop trying to make their
> external
> |  links open new windows/tabs on my computer. The only good excuse for
> |  forcing open a new window, IMO, is to facilitate the use of an
> |  internal web app. IMO.
>
> well, I agree that its annoying sometimes when all links start opening
> in a
> new tab, but then, IMHO, the links to other sites should open in a new
> window

I can't believe people are still having this discussion in 2005!

For the last 5+ years, the major graphical browsers, the ones used by
probably 99% of the web using population uses, has had the ability to
open a link in a new window by use of a modifier key pressed when
clicking a link, or by use of a contextual-menu, or by setting some
preference in a browser.

Let the user decide, they have the power. Why clutter up your site with
functionality the browser already provides?

Pete