[wp-hackers] RSS Feed for Archives, Is it needed?

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Mon Oct 24 06:02:21 GMT 2005

_____/ On Mon 24 Oct 2005 06:03:52 BST, [Mani Monajjemi] wrote : \_____
> On 10/23/05, Roy Schestowitz <r at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> _____/ On Sun 23 Oct 2005 10:25:49 BST, [Mani Monajjemi] wrote : \_____
>>
>> > Dear friends,
>> >
>> > Last night I've just added some features to WP1.6 function. I added some
>> > tags to wp_get_archives like *feed* & *feed_image* just like
>> wp_list_cats,
>> > now if you use those tags and RSS link will apear after Monthly, Daily &
>> > weekly archives , after 3 hours of coding and finishing the job , I
>> thought
>> > is it really neccessary ? Should I submit the code to wordpress trac?
>> >
>> > PS. There's aboolutley no bug in new functions and they work well.
>>
>> Comprehensive feeds, such as the ones you describe, can be useful for what
>> we
>> have come to know as Google Sitemap. The input XML might soon be supported
>> by
>> other search engines too (if not already so).
>>
>> Having said that, there is an existing implementation of XML sitemaps for
>> WordPress. It must be lying about somewhere as it was announced in this
>> list
>> only days after Google Sitemaps had been introduced.
>>
>> Whether large-scale feeds will ever be helpful to human readers, I
>> doubt it with
>> passion. It's merely a bot/harvester element.
>>
>> Best Wishes,
>
> Thanks roy , but finally should I try to add the changes to WP 1.6?
>
> Another problem! How can I submit the changes ? through trac? or through
> SVN?

For changes to be committed by yourself, I suspect there is no way around the
need for privileges. If anybody could commit changes without supervision, we
would be in a sordid chaos.

Try to list a few compelling reasons in Trac, which may persuade the
developers
to propagate your submission to the trunk, rather than treating it as a
plug-in.

Best Wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
  6:50am  up 59 days 16:59,  7 users,  load average: 0.87, 0.62, 0.54