[wp-hackers] Cheap webhosts

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Wed Oct 12 14:45:34 GMT 2005

_____/ On Wed 12 Oct 2005 14:21:31 BST, [Jason A. Trommetter] wrote : \_____

> _____/ On Wed 12 Oct 2005 08:32:04 BST, [Martin Geisler] wrote : \_____
>
>> Jason Bainbridge <jbainbridge at gmail.com> writes:

>>> Uhm may I suggest that you consider switching hosts? SSH is kind of
>>> standard these days, I certainly won't consider a host unless they
>>> provide SSH access, [...]
>>
>> It's the same in Denmark where I come from: most cheap webhosts also
>> don't want to give you SSH access. :-(  So for me it was a big luxus
>> when I got it for my site with a US host.
>
> I personally recommend http://www.dreamhost.com/  Very reasonable, PHP,
> MySQL, full ssh access.

I rarely require SSH access. SSH is merely a luxury that one can adapt to by
changing a few habits e.g. using command-line rather than front-ends to file
management. The last thing I want to do is move away from hosts that served me
so well with approximately 99.9% uptime, even now that I suffer the spam
equivalent of the Slashdot Effect on a daily basis.

I think I once read about Dreamhost.com banning a user from establishment of
database connections as he was hammering it too hard. That sounds incompetent
to me as they appeared to have not preceded the move with a gentle warning.
That's the problem with large 'meat market' companies that perceive their
clients as 'little people'.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Software patents destroy innovation
  3:30pm  up 48 days  3:44,  3 users,  load average: 0.95, 0.80, 0.57