[wp-hackers] Referrer Spam [s]

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Tue Oct 11 15:41:52 GMT 2005

Amit Gupta wrote:
> Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org <mailto:dougal at gunters.org>> wrote:
> |  See also, my SpamValve project:
> |
> |     http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/category/spamvalve/
> |
> |  Though, SV has a much higher barrier to entry. But if you're able to use
> |  it, it can actually reduce the spam traffic before it can even reach
> |  your web server
>
> though it certainly looks interesting & will probably save more CPU
> resources but the thing is that Bad Behavior will find more public
> adoption than Spam Valve as unlike Spam Valve, Bad Behavior doesn't
> require root access & many people are still on shared hosting without
> root access to their servers.

I know that SV will have a more limited audience (thus my comment about
the high barrier to entry). But I wanted to be sure that people were
aware of it. I'm hoping one day to set up some sort of distributed share
of the blacklist information though. This would allow a separate plugin
to utilize the information, though without the firewalling abilities.

Since SV only blacklists a host after it triggers spam tests multiple
times, I consider it to be fairly high-confidence information. And since
it automatically expires entries after a period of inactivity, it
shouldn't have too many false-positives due to dynamic IP addressing.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/