[wp-hackers] Referrer Spam [s]

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Tue Oct 11 11:24:17 GMT 2005

_____/ On Tue 11 Oct 2005 07:28:21 BST, [Amit Gupta] wrote : \_____

> Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org> wrote:
> |  See also, my SpamValve project:
> |
> |     http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/category/spamvalve/
> |
> |  Though, SV has a much higher barrier to entry. But if you're able to
> use
> |  it, it can actually reduce the spam traffic before it can even reach
> |  your web server
>
> though it certainly looks interesting & will probably save more CPU
> resources but the thing is that Bad Behavior will find more public
> adoption than Spam Valve as unlike Spam Valve, Bad Behavior doesn't
> require root access & many people are still on shared hosting without
> root access to their servers.

...let alone have any access to a console for their /own/ account/s
(unless they
use cron jobs as a workaround).

Dougal, I read about SpamValve and I appreciate your suggestion. As it's the
first time spam of that scale hit me (peaking at over 200 MB of dynamic
content
per day), I decided to just re-direct to a forbidden (code 403) page. This has
worked for over a day.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
12:10pm  up 47 days  0:24,  3 users,  load average: 0.15, 0.34, 0.34