[wp-hackers] Flexible Installation Process

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Nov 29 18:22:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 08:48 -0800, Trevor Turk wrote:
> --- Douglas Daulton <apakuni at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This flexible installer would be useful for more
> > than just il8n folks.  It
> > would also prove extremely helpful for folks who
> > maintain a wide variety of
> > WP installs on different servers for different
> > folks.
> >
> > So, if I want every site I create to have Spam
> > Karma, WP-Contact and 4 other
> > plugins installed, activated and configured a
> > particular way, the
> > create_defaults() function could go along way
> > towards this goal.
> >
> > I was going to create a custom WP distro for myself
> > that would address this
> > need, but it makes much more sense to have the guts
> > of the "roll your own"
> > subsystem as part of the core.  Then, everyone can
> > take advantage of the
> > toolset.
>
> Not to mention this would make it much much easier to
> publish your own "plugged in" versions of Wordpress -
> like Alex King does:
>
> http://www.alexking.org/index.php?content=software/wordpress/content.php

For such semi-custom installs, we probably don't want to tie our file
load to a locale.  It may make the most sense to just load
wp-content/install-functions.php instead of digging in the languages
directory.  install-functions.php will be used once, at install time,
and thereafter will be useless.  It is a prepackaged, one-shot item.

Ryan