[wp-hackers] Flexible Installation Process

Douglas Daulton apakuni at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:26:06 GMT 2005

Yep.  Another consideration is the prevention of project forking. I've been
down that road with other OS projects.  People spin off independent projects
which are really unnecessary and create more noise, less signal, when the
issue could have been addressed by by accounting for custom distros within
the core.

This way, the core grows in a solid, predictable way and you do not end up
with 50 ill-conceived forks which are really just ugly, inefficient hacks,
on top of hacks on top of even more hacks.  You get the picture. :D

Baking "roll-your-own" into the core will keep WP strong for years to come
by keeping everyone on a common codebase while allowing for custom distros.
If/when forks happen, they will only be because the devs think something
substantive in the core must change, not because Dev X got his/her nose out
of joint because his plug-in was not moved to the core.

Doug