[wp-hackers] Setup fonts might be a tiny bit above average size under some circumstances (was: Setup font madness)

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Fri Nov 4 05:01:38 GMT 2005

Short: The problem is that WordPress uses "font-size: 1.7em;" for the
text fields and buttons.

Long (and rude because of know-all attitude):

Roy Schestowitz cluelessly wrote:
> _____/ On Thu 03 Nov 2005 23:43:37 GMT, [Mark Rosenstand] wrote :
> \_____
>
> > Hey list,
> >
> > I was wondering if you are aware of how ugly the WordPress setup is
> > on a default GNOME desktop.
> >
> > http://borkware.net/~mark/wp-setup.png
> > http://borkware.net/~mark/wp-login.png
>
> Putting aside the fact that "madness" is an overstatement to describe
> what I  see above,

Sorry, fixed.

> it is a matter of which distribution you happen to be using.

Standard fonts are distributed with X.org.

> It varies depending on which fonts you happen to have installed.

Not if you test with the standard fonts of the most common
operating systems instead of assuming that the entire world uses
Microsoft's fonts.

> I agree, however,  that  font sets can always be made more generous.

No need to, the standard ones are both excellent and plenty.

> Have  you  in- stalled  any  TrueType fonts packages yet?

$ find /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts -name '*.ttf' |wc -l
22

> If not, you are likely  to  see more of the same in other Web sites.

No, the rest of the web looks great, just like it has done for the
past six years. But of course the rest of the web isn't doing this:

	#log, #pwd, #submit {
		font-size: 1.7em;
	}

> I have just tried Ubuntu (GNOME) on a remote host, just as a proof of
> con- cept.  It all looked fine to me, i.e. no low-resultion fonts.

Ubuntu isn't a standard.

> Catering for each individual distro (they come with different fonts)
> is hard. The least you  can  do is download more packages of font.

It must be really hard to be a web developer with all those evil Linux
distributions. Oh boy am I glad you are willing to share your deep
insight with me. But please don't mind doing so in the future.