[wp-hackers] Re: 1.5.2 or on to 1.6?

Martin Geisler mgeisler at mgeisler.net
Mon May 23 05:52:58 GMT 2005

Matthew Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> writes:

Hi Matt

> As much more core code will be touched it's likely that
> compatibility with some things will be broken and there will need to
> be a long testing period.

I've only been using WordPress since February, but what has struck me
as the biggest problem is the coding standard used.  I've written a
longer piece[1] about it on my blog, but to summerize:

* Global variables are used all over the place, making it difficult to
  track the dependencies between various parts of the code.

* There are no comments in vast parts of the core code.  To understand
  the core functions one has to read the body of the functions, which
  is really bad, IMHO.  Doccomments which specify argument and return
  types would be a very good move.

If such a development should be 1.6 or 2.0 I don't know, but I do
think that WordPress should look into it's guts and make the code as
good-looking as the XHTML it produces.

[1]: http://mgeisler.net/2005/05/22/wordpress-code-quality/

--
Martin Geisler                                     GnuPG Key: 0x7E45DD38

PHP EXIF Library      |  PHP Weather             |  PHP Shell
http://pel.sf.net/    |  http://phpweather.net/  |  http://mgeisler.net/
Read/write EXIF data  |  Show current weather    |  A shell in a browser