[wp-hackers] More on WordPress user permissions overhaul

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Jun 28 03:20:05 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 23:10 -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a relative newcomer as a WordPress user, and definitely a newcomer
> when it comes to hacking around the wp code.  I'm really happy with
> WordPress as a user, and hence why I'm signing up for this list.
>
> The timing of the "User Permissions system overhaul" thread couldn't be
> better from my perspective, since I'm currently working on studying the
> authorization models of various popular web applications, and publishing
> the results on a wiki that I've set up for this purpose:
> http://spectaclar.org  .  I've already received a couple outside
> contributions (Nagios and RequestTracker) and would appreciate others.
> appropriate topic for that mailing list.
>
> I'd like to help with the WordPress permissions overhaul in any way that
> I can.  From my perspective, the ideal solution could be shared among
> many common applications, such as MediaWiki, Mailman, Bugzilla, etc.
> Certainly, it's much easier to share systems among PHP-based systems,
> and there already seems to be strong interest in MediaWiki/WordPress
> intergration, so perhaps that's a good starting point.
>
> The new user rights system in MediaWiki 1.5 is documented here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:User_rights
>
> It's a very simple system, but I think gets the essentials correct.  To
> the extent that any permissions management code can be shared between
> the systems, I think it should be attempted.
>
> Anyway, I've been lurking on IRC for a while (robla) and am kicking
> myself for not getting on this list sooner.  Let me know how I can help.

Alright, let's stick that mediawiki link and other links mentioned in
these user permissions threads in a "Prior Art" section on the page you
already started.

http://codex.wordpress.org/User:RobLa/Access_Control_Development

Additional prior art comes from TextDrive.

http://textpattern.org/tips/280/editing-user-priveleges

Ryan