[wp-hackers] Compose Screen

Scott Merrill skippy at skippy.net
Fri Jun 24 14:07:04 GMT 2005

Firas D. wrote:
> Scott Merrill wrote:
>
>> * There's still some wiggle room for shuffling things around above the
>> post composition field.  I realize I forgot to put the comments/pings
>> checkboxes back in -- they probably should go after the date section.
>>

> Any reason to put all those controls above the post text field than
> below it and above save? They're a bit overwhelming. As in, if I hit
> write, I'd like to put in a title and just start writing.

I was thinking how most posts are displayed on blogs:
   Post title, published @ timestamp by so-and-so
   in the following categories

Besides, the top-portion of the existing Write / Edit screen has a lot
of whitespace at the top.

Preparing the post can easily follow the same format.  The bits you
don't need are off to the side.  Enter a title, and then click (or tab)
down to the text entry area.

>> I'm sure lots of people on this list will be happy to tear this proposal
>> apart, since it's only a modest step beyond the original post screen.
>> Please show me something substantially better.
>>

> * The categories could use a new category input box.

Great! Mock one up so I can see what you mean.

> * The 'existing timestamp' note needs to go; the existing timestamp is
> the timestamp in the date/time form.
>
> Right now, you have
>
> [Draft/Page/Post] | Save |
>
> I'd do
>
> [Draft/Published/Private] [Page/Post] | Save |

How many folks are using private posts?  I don't entirely understand the
value of private posts.

Maybe if we could roll in "user levels" with private posts, we could
keep "Draft / Page / Post", and introduce a new control to set the
minimum level required to see the post / page.

--
skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 9CFA4B35
506C F8BB 17AE 8A05 0B49  3544 476A 7DEC 9CFA 4B35