[wp-hackers] Plugins installing db tables automatically

Jalenack jalenack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 19:27:11 GMT 2005

Alright, the article has been completely rewritten, according to the
suggestions made by all.

It uses a combination of everyone's ideas, and I think it turned out quite
well. Thanks for all the help!

http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Jalenack/Creating_Tables_with_Plugins

Now, any more suggestions/quibbles with it?

On 6/23/05, Tom Westcott <tom at cyberdummy.co.uk> wrote:

> The security check, to check if the person is on the plugins page maybe
> bypassed on some servers because PHP_SELF can be manipulated check this
> link:
> http://blog.phpdoc.info/archives/13-guid.html
>
> -- Tom
>
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 22:02 -0700, Jalenack wrote:
> > Greetings wp-hackers,
> >
> > I've just written up an article on the Codex for plugin authors, on
> > how to make plugins create their own tables in the WP database. Before
> > this gets *released* into the Codex, I thought I'd run it by you guys.
> > I want to know if you have any quibbles about the code or suggestions.
> > This is an important article for the Codex, so it needs to be as
> > accurate as possible.
> >
> > The main point of the article is efficiency. We don't want to
> > check/install the table every time a page is loaded. So keep that in
> > mind as you're reading it. Go ahead and make comments on the
> > discussion page
> >
> > http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Jalenack/Creating_Tables_with_Plugins
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --