WordPress Openness (was Re: [wp-hackers] UI development for 1.6)

Fahim Farook fahim at farook.org
Thu Jun 23 13:05:59 GMT 2005

    Having watched this discussion develop, I do have to make a few
comments ... again :p First, the whole remark by Matt about the link to
Mike "out of the box" was both irrelevant and low. I do grant that
Mike's first e-mail might have seemed like a personal attack on Matt -
that's the way it read on initial reading to me - but still, the remark
was uncalled for. Second, Mike really cleared the air with his later
mails where he clarified where he was coming from. I see his points now
and do agree with some of them :)
    I realize that Mike is looking at this from the big picture
perspective - as how will WP develop and where will it go? How will the
community as a whole be affected by the changes and the way WP is
managed? I can also see Matt's side of it, which is more along the lines
of get it done now and make changes later - which is how I tend to code
as well -. Unfortunately, this seems to be a clash of two different
philosophies - or to borrow a reference from Mike, the bazar vs. the
cathedral. There are those who like each approach but I don't know if it
would be possible to merge the two so that you have a solution which
works for all. Me, I'm a coder, not a thinker - I'd still be saying, if
you don't like the way it's done, do it your own way ... because that's
what I'd do. But I also agree with Mike that that wouldn't be the best
thing for the community at large. Perhaps if we each (or rather the
major players in the community who do have contributions to make) took a
step back and tried to look at this from the other person's perspective
..... ?

Fahim