[wp-hackers] UI development for 1.6

Terrence Wood tdw at funkive.com
Tue Jun 21 20:39:28 GMT 2005

I'm certainly not arguing about anything...

I wanted to contribute constructively -- that's why I said I would take
a couple of days to gather my thoughts, rather than just throwing
around some criticisms -- and being busy I wanted to gauge what had
been done so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. That's why I asked
first, and you gotta admit Yes/No answers are not particularly helpful
in creating a dialogue.

What I mean by Shuttle being underground is that there seems to be no
word from them about where they are at, and it appears their changes
are being rolled into WP. Like it or not Shuttle *is* WP -- the team
members are all WP celebs, and many people are awaiting their
redevelopment.

But anyway heres the readers digest version of my thoughts...

Good things:
1. Use of cookies to store a customized entry form.
2. Use of brothercakes accessible box thingy.

Some ideas for consideration (in no particular order):
1. Ditch using tab index on the form -- it breaks keyboard navigation,
and means people have to change modes (keyboard to mouse) to navigate
the form properly. Focus the first field with js onload if you want.

2. Resolve the source order to (a) eliminate the mode change,(b) so the
form make sense when is CSS off, (c) is easier for ppl to tweak in
their own CSS (d) will allow better integration of plugged in fields
into the form. Basically, this means grouping all the 'advanced
options' together, rather than splitting them up before and after the
title & content fields.

3. Make the submit buttons the last thing on the form. There is a
disconnect that occurs by having form controls both above and below the
buttons that affect them.

4. Eliminate the show/hide for every individual advanced option.  Most
users will use less than half of these. Instead put these under one
heading called 'advanced options'. Allow users to drag/select which
advanced options they want to appear on their usual form and hide the
rest.

5. Allow reordering of the main (title,excerpt, content) form fields.
(Personally, I use the excerpt and I prefer it above the content field,
others may dis/agree)

6. Use the 'fieldset' element properly. 'Fieldset' is being used to
label form controls. It is supposed to group related controls together.
Use the 'label' element to describe the form control -- this has other
benefits such as improving the clickable target, plus it's extra points
for semantics.

7. Change 'save and continue editing' button to a checkbox 'continue
editing' and just have the 'save' and 'publish' buttons.

8. Provide a 'toolbar' hook so tools can be plugged into the form code
above the content area without relying on js to provide a solution.

9. Make the show/hide toggles larger and provide hover/focus states.
They are a really small target next to the blue title-bar device.

10. Ensure #postdiv is cleared properly when expanding adv. opts.

11. Close the adv. opt. boxes when the javascript loads in the doc
head, and reopen them onload, rather than closing them onload, it will
look prettier.

kind regards
Terrence Wood.