[wp-hackers] Plugin download repository

Jonathan Leighton turnip at turnipspatch.com
Tue Jul 26 22:31:07 GMT 2005

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> Jonathan Leighton wrote:
>
>> Would it be possible to have a mirror of http://svn.wp-plugins.org/ at
>> http://download.wp-plugins.org/ with a HTTP header such that files get
>> downloaded rather than displayed? It would make non-techie users' lives
>> that little bit easier if we can link to files there I think. I know
>> there's going to be http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/, but for
>> plugins with only one file it's not particularly useful to have it
>> zipped up (just makes more work for the user). What think ye all?
>

> Sure:
>
> http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/

Yeah, but they're zip files -- I'd like to be able to have each
individual file as a downloadable.

For my purposes at least (don't know about other people), a zip is less
than ideal because:

a) There is only one file _REALLY_ needed (the plugin php file)
b) It's not very big -- unzipping just gets in the way
c) I haven't committed it yet, but I'm working with someone else to add
localisation to Post Teaser. Into the repository will go a .pot file,
and a .po and .mo for each translation (in a new directory structure).
The .pots and .pos aren't remotely useful to anyone not participating in
translation, and I don't suppose the .mo of a language the user doesn't
speak will be useful to them either. In other words, I'd like to provide
.mos as a separate download, for those that want/need a translated version.

Finally, the last I heard, the zip was take straight from the trunk. Is
this correct?

Cheers
Jon

--